Higher Ground Please


The last few days… we have been several places away from home seeking relief from the electric fields. We have spoken with electricians, we have prayed and battled spiritually, we have actually changed course and are no longer using grounding pads anywhere.

Dennis has had a couple new symptoms and I’m sure they alarm him. He has trouble swallowing his many pills. They are all supplements so it’s not critical he take them if he has trouble, but since this symptom was addressed at the conference we went to, it is an alarming occurrence to him.

Another surprise, he mentioned hallucinations. He thought he saw me coming toward him out in the field today – I wasn’t. He thought he saw a man outside the window but whenever he turned to see who it was, the man was gone. He said the H word himself.

But mostly it is still the electricity issue that is on his mind – trying to figure out why he feels tingling in his hands, cold extremities, dry mouth but drooling at the same time (???), and changes in his mental and emotional status whenever he is on the property and especially in our condo.

He would explain it this way. The code is written for single residences but our is a duplex. Because of that there are two grounding rods, 10 feet long and 6 feet apart. He looked up the code and found that it was a minimal requirement and didn’t take safety fully into account. He feels that electricity from one grounding rod is conducted through the grounding rod, into the wet ground (high water table) and feeding back into the other grounding rod and into our house through the neutral electric wire. Somehow this translates into the theory that if he gets up high enough above the water table his symptoms will lessen, perhaps go away. The rogue electric current is denaturing the protein in his body and creating more Lewy bodies faster than he can get rid of them with his magnesium water.

He talks these theories/facts endlessly, and I finally am telling him to leave me out of the conversation. I am not going to help him research electromagnetic shielding on the internet. I don’t want to hear about the dairy farms where this happens commonly, according to him. I am not going to try to lower the water table (he has ideas on how) or dig up the grounding rods and pull them out of the water.

As he says, he is sorry to be so much trouble, but the house and really the whole residential development is killing him and he has to get out. You have never seen desperation like this.


Mayo Clinic Day 3

Please tear my hair out in clumps and put me in a straight jacket. I’ve been talking to my insurance company.

Me: Yes, hello. I’m calling to check on an authorization for a PET scan for my husband Dennis. Where do we stand on this request?

Insurance company: I can check on that for you, just a moment… I don’t see a request for a PET scan in the notes. I see four other authorizations, blah, blah, blah…

Me: Mayo Clinic sent our Dr.’s notes to you yesterday, and they were told the decision was pending. It’s an out of network issue and it’s complicated. Do you have someone who handles these cases that I can talk to? (I give them a case number and the history of the last five days phone calls.)

Insurance company: No, I can’t say that we do and the notes we have don’t mention a PET scan at all.  (She tries to find more information but comes back with the same answer.)

Me: (Calling Mayo Clinic business desk in a panic.) I’ve just called my insurance to check on the authorization, as you suggested, and they don’t know anything about a request for a PET scan. It’s supposed to happen tomorrow. What can I do?

Clinic rep: We called your insurance at 8 am this morning to see if the authorization was given. They did get our fax yesterday about the Dr.’s evaluation and the matter is still pending. We should know something today.

Me: Why are they not able to find this anywhere in his record? They have the other authorizations but nothing for the PET scan. They say they don’t even have case numbers like the one I was told to give them.

Clinic rep: (explains all kinds of stuff about a special review board for out of network authorizations) We gave them the Dr.’s recommendations and I’m sure they will be getting back to us. Don’t worry, we have all day today and most of tomorrow to work this out. It will get resolved.

So I called the insurance company again, got a different rep who said basically the same thing with the added information that she had never heard of a special review board and she would know if there was one (she said). I made sure she knew that this was getting very mysterious and confusing to get two completely conflicting stories about the status of the request. She assured me they did not have a request recorded – but I could get one started. She told me how.

I didn’t want to call the clinic again, but I did. No surprises there – the same report. At least everyone is consistent. I guessed it was up to me. Which story did I want to believe? So, I went with the clinic, and am praying that they were right.  I really did not want to make any more calls. Tomorrow, we will find out if that was a good decision.

A bright spot in the day came when the scheduler called mid-morning and told us we had an appointment for tomorrow 7 am for the neuro-psych evaluation, the one we had been on standby for. We no longer had to keep showing up and waiting for a cancellation. The lumbar puncture was rescheduled for Friday morning and will be followed by an afternoon wrap up with Dr. Jones. We are going home on Friday!

But will probably be coming back in a month or so. Whatever. Maybe by then we will have new insurance, the kind that’s not so special that no one knows about it. Just sayin’…